This chapter describes the methods of a literature review for the KCE. It provides guidance for reviewers on the various steps of the search, appraisal and presentation of the results.
New evidence may change some of the recommendations made, thereby researchers should consider this as a ‘living document’ for which yearly updates will be required.
This document is mainly based on the following sources of information:
- KCE Process Documents and Notes (KCE and Deloitte, 2003)
- The Cochrane Collaboration Handbook (Higgins and Green, 2011)
- SIGN 50 (SIGN, 2008)
- CRD’s guidance for undertaking reviews in health care (Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (CRD), 2009)
- The QUOROM statement (Moher et al., 1999)
- GRADE (Grade org)
- The KCE Process Notes GCP (Van den Bruel et al., 2007), HSR (Van de Voorde and Léonard, 2007), HTA (Cleemput et al., 2007).
An evidence report consists of the following steps: